Is there any encouragement from belonging to Christ? Any comfort from his love? Any fellowship together in the Spirit? Are your hearts tender and compassionate? Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another, and working together with one mind and purpose. Philippians 2 v 1-2
Just because we married a fellow Christian doesn’t guarantee a trouble free path in life! But we have advantages if we realise the potential. The verses show a progression:
- Do we find daily encouragement and comfort walking with Jesus?
- Does that encouragement and love extend beyond our own individual experience into our relationship with each other – leading to “fellowship in the Spirit”?
- If we do-it will mean that our hearts will be kept tender and compassionate. Real daily connection with God’s love will re-charge our own resources.
- This will lead to the harmony and effective living that is one of the most glorious signs of a good marriage.
It doesn’t happen by default: we have to engage with God and each other.
- Are we sharing our spiritual life?
- Are we praying together?
- Are we enjoying God together?
- Talk together about how to grow these?
Prayer (as a couple)
Lord Jesus – Sometimes we feel defeated. Sometimes we feel so far from each other. Help us to learn how to share our spiritual lives as well as our day to day working lives so that we may be encouraged by your love together. Amen
Prayer (for others)
Lord Jesus, we pray for our friends: (A and B) who got married this summer. May they learn quickly how to pray together and may they grow in their faith together and not apart. Amen
Harmony makes small things grow, lack of it makes great things decay, (Sallust)